Wednesday 1 December 2010

Bovinia

I started this blog with a smattering of pseudonyms and it would seem a shame not to have one for our village. I've used it before here and there, but I think it is time to officially announce it - Bovinia. It is almost beautiful, don't you think? I've told you that the bovines are all under lock and key in their barns now, not to be seen again till April, but I feel their presence anyhow. There cannot be a better name for this place. (I thought of 'Kuhdorf', but it doesn't sound so romantic.)

So Bovinia is lying under a thick blanket of snow. So thick that I was able to pull Titus to kindergarten on a sledge this morning. I think he's been overdoing the carbs - he's always been fond of them - I nearly ripped my arm out of its socket dragging the sledge along the riverbank. The ducks were all looking very cheesed off. Can't say I blame them. It was -4°C. Imagine having your feet in icy water the entire time! Meanwhile the burgers of the village are keeping themselves warm and only venturing out to the friendly baker or chemist. Well, needs must. The roads are quieter than usual, the tranquility only interrupted every now and again by München people racing through showing off their fast cars and frightening the life out of all and sundry. Our cat Max is enjoying staring at his less fortunate friends as they shiver on our patio (for some reason they like to gather there) from his underfloor heated rug. I forgot to tell you about a new cat. We've called him Fats Domino as he is colossal. Where other cats will spring nimbly onto a fence, he has no choice but to squeeze his great bulk under it. When seen from a distance you might confuse him for a dog or even a deer, with very short legs.

Ah, it's snowing again. I'm off to make a nutritious lunch for my children - christmas tree-shaped pasta with bolognaise sauce. I'll make sure Titus goes easy on the pasta. There are a lot of sledge-pulling days still to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment