Wednesday 8 December 2010

Temptation and Christmas

'Twas ever thus. You go shopping with something particular in mind, and you don't find it. But when you are not looking for anything in particular, you always find that certain garment that you just have to have. Substitute every 'you' for 'I' and that is what happened to me this morning.

I was ostensibly, no, actually really, trying to find Christmas presents. I had taken myself off to Garmisch, which is a veritable metropolis compared to Bovinia. I even felt nervous as I walked along the main street and found myself surrounded by people. That is how much of a country bumpkin I am. The quest for purchases started well though - I was striding along purposefully, heading for a bookshop to find something for my pa. Then, out of the corner of my eye, I registered 'Esprit'. Before I knew it, my feet were walking into the store and I was holding a pair of jeans in my hand. I was on clothes-shopping autopilot - find the right size, hold up the garment against myself, touch the fabric, smell the fabric (weird, I know, but I always do it), turn it this and that way, put it over my arm to be tried on. Proceed to next rack, and oh look, there's something else I should try on, just to see how it looks. Fast forward twenty minutes and I was on my way again, back on the straight and narrow, with a brand new pair of jeans in a red bag. I told myself that they would probably look worse at home and that I'd most likely return them.*

In my defence I'd say that this little extravagance was a blessing in disguise. I was now free to concentrate entirely on the loved ones for whom I was buying. Temptation had been succumbed to and firmly put aside for another day. I bought nothing more for me, although a present meant for my mother may or may not actually make it to her house for Christmas. I tried it on when I got home and took an immediate fancy to it. What to do? She might not even like it... and she'd be none the wiser if I kept it and sent her something else (except she reads this blog, but I'll get round that one). Hmm.
Despite all this, I can now tick off most of my list and start thinking about my pet-hate, buying wrapping paper and worse still wrapping up presents. But by the way, did I tell you I am looking forward to Christmas after all? My scrooge-itis has worn off and I am feeling most festive this week. I even went out yesterday and bought the children an artificial Christmas tree for their living room, as it is such a torture every year waiting for CG to decide that the time is right to (a) buy (b) put up and (c) decorate our Nordmann pine, or whatever they are called. I know they aren't classy, but aren't artificial trees better for the environment? Something to be pondered upon, but not till after January 6th, 2011, when I am busy removing pine needles from every inch of the ground floor. Because hell will freeze over before my husband allows an artificial tree into his Christmas parlour.

*They look great and there's no way I'm returning these babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment