Tuesday 28 December 2010

The piste less travelled

Luckily for us beginner ski people, we have a very satisfactory network of cross-country pistes just yards away from our back door. Not living in the ski capital of Garmisch, the public here are slightly more forgiving and the pistes are indeed much less frequented. This is what we found out today, when we parked Hedda and Titus on a nice little hill overlooking the piste, (armed of course with their new, superfast sledges), and tried our luck without a teacher to tell us what to do. There were only two other skiers - one, a girl of about 12, was so fast that I can't even remember what she looked like as she whizzed past. The other, who seemed to be her friend, spent so long attaching her skis to her shoes that even I had done about 5 lengths before she managed to get to her feet. Thus, all in all, we felt quite confident to ski around, fall over, and generally make complete idiots of ourselves. By the end, though, we were both skiing quite confidently and had to be forced onto dry land by our freezing children.

I will try not to get boring about this new passion of ours. I can see that CG and I will be spending hours out there, perfecting our technique, or should I say learning it in the first place. Feel free, therefore, to remind me if I start blurbing on about it too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment