Sunday 26 December 2010

Another illusion shattered

Titus was most disappointed to discover that Boxing Day, as we Brits like to call 26th December, has absolutely nothing to do with the sport of boxing. Not only that, but opinion still seems divided regarding the origin of the term and therefore CG and I were unable to offer a definitive answer. If there is one thing Titus hates, it is vague and indeterminate explanations for things.

One of his favourite questions is when he, and other assorted people dear to his heart, will die. My standard reply is always, oh, a very, very, long time from now. But I have to be careful, because often he'll then leap in with, Mummy, was I born a long time ago? I mean, 6 years is quite a long time, isn't it? Well, yes.... So I could die in 6 years? No, of course not! (Indignantly reassuring). I try hard to be honest with my children. But I do feel that with such questions, it pays to lie just a little. The truth is that nothing in life is certain apart from birth and death. We simply do not know. And it can happen at any time. However, I don't want my kids spending their lives in terror, waiting for the axe to fall. So it is good to have distraction tactics, a little strategic lying, and a swift change of subject to hand at all times.

On a brighter note: tomorrow, CG and I are having our first cross-country skiing lesson. We have borrowed the equipment from the army. Am slightly nervous about it, having seen that the skis are actually taller than I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment