Wednesday 23 March 2011

Lurking and shirking

Guilt hanging over me like a cloud. Just dropped Titus off at kindergarten in my new, clandestine fashion. That means I don't accompany him into the building and engage with anyone (unless they approach my car - even I draw the line at driving off in a cloud of dust, escaping eye contact with a large pair of sunglasses). I simply can't face it at the moment. Have we supplied the 6 cleaned and blown-out eggs for the Easter crafts? Have I put my name down for a 'chat' with the fierce and devout teacher? Did I sign up for the free first aid course? No, no and no. And all that on top of the no-show at the bazaar last week. I've got it coming to me, that's for sure. Luckily I have a potential soulmate in the village, who is equally reprehensible. She got an invitation to a tupperware party which she accepted. And then forgot all about, until the hostess rang up and asked where she was. This in itself is nothing, but then her husband, out walking the family dog, was accosted by a completely different woman, who he'd never seen in his life before. Something along the lines of, how could she? Scary. I shuddered with empathy when I heard this.

So CG popped into the village shop yesterday on his way home from work and was startled to come across our son browsing in the confectionery section. Hedda was waiting outside, the shy and unwilling accomplice. Apparently Gaia had sent them off to get something for her sugar-fix. I can't say I wouldn't have done the same at her age. Sadly, my three younger siblings were either too bolshy to comply or still in nappies.

No comments:

Post a Comment