Thursday 3 March 2011

Looking on the bright side

I think it's part of the British genetic make-up to do this. Which is just as well, because right now the RH is in a bit of a slough of despond about still being out of work. I'm asking myself, how long do I have to wait before I qualify as 'long-term unemployed', and will I feel better when I reach that milestone??

But of course, it doesn't pay to be miserable. Yesterday I thought of all the advantageous aspects of living in Bovinia and not working. Or at least not having paid work. Here they are:

1) I am familiar, to the minute, with the exact routines of the bin men, the postal service and the fat teenager who comes round with the free newspaper, and can be duly concerned when they are late;

2) I am truly able to say that any time will do for doctors' and dentists' appointments - no more squeezing them into a frenetic working day;

3) I would never have got to know the wonderfully inspiring and friendly types at the Job Centre - nor even been granted the honour of entering the building;

4) I would never have the ludicrously high score in Mah Jong that I can now boast;

5) I would have persisted in the delusional belief that I am eminently employable

and lastly

6) the quirks and idiosyncrasies of this unique village would most likely have passed me by completely. And what would my blog be without those?

Indeed, indeed. I would be reduced to writing about broken-down photocopiers and chance meetings in the staff kitchen. My creative juices would dry up to a trickle, whereas now they are a great, flowing Orinoco or Amazon.

Must go. There seems to be some irregular movement in the street outside, which I should enter into the log book.

No comments:

Post a Comment