Thursday 11 November 2010

RIP Geese

It's a sad day for German geese today - it is the feast of St Martin, and roast goose is the traditional fare. As far as I know, there is no goose equivalent of the US thanksgiving turkey ritual - you know, where the incumbent President 'pardons' one symbolic and very lucky turkey. (By the way, did you know that, with the exception of JFK in 1963, no president actually pardoned a turkey until George H. W. Bush in 1989? I'm glad to say that all presidents since have followed suit.) Titus' kindergarten is celebrating St Martin tomorrow, and I am pleased to say that we will eating only cake, as far as I can ascertain. Maybe I am just terribly old-fashioned, but I like these saints' days, which date back centuries but are still religiously upheld in an otherwise modern, non-stop world. Easy for me to say - I'm not a goose!

No comments:

Post a Comment