Monday 15 November 2010

Mountains and nutella

Having been busy with our visitors, Antje and Lance, I haven't blogged for two days. They left this morning, so I'm back to my routine of housework, blog, bit of shopping to alleviate boredom, more housework, chat with Frau NN, etc, etc. Yesterday I finally managed to climb a 'proper' mountain - the Heimgarten (1790 m). This sounds impressive, but you have to bear in mind that we started at 600 m above sea level. Despite it being mid-November, it was 19°C and there were still gentians growing way up the slopes. I wouldn't be me if I didn't tell you that I spotted my first alpine chough (a cousin of the crow; much better-looking though). The summit was surprisingly crowded - people were literally jostling to have their picture taken next to the huge cross, which has stood there for over 150 years. We didn't hang around too long, knowing it would take two hours to get down again. The thought of fumbling around in a pine forest trying to find the way home in the dark was enough to speed us on our way.

On a completely different note, I recently discovered that nutella is banned in Titus' kindergarten - this was after giving him nutella-filled ricecakes every day for the last two months. I don't understand - it is practically a national delicacy! For me, nutella is synonymous with Germany and all things German. Anyway, we're back to cottage cheese now. Our dentist is sure to be happy. And the kindergarten. That's the main thing, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment