Thursday 18 November 2010

Charmlessness and Post-Nasal Drips

If your ego is feeling a little inflated, I'll tell you what to do. Ring up the Job Centre (or Bundesagentur für Arbeit, as it is known here) and have a little chat. They'll soon put you in your place! I had this joyful experience this morning. I won't bore you with the whole conversation; suffice to say that when I dared to mention anything other than the absolute facts of the matter, simply in an attempt to make friendly conversation, the lady on the phone snapped 'please spare me the unnecessary details Frau L. I already have enough to go on.' Charming.

Feeling a little subdued, I prepared myself for a meeting with one of Gaia's teachers. This didn't really lift my spirits. Gaia has clearly decided that business studies is not her cup of tea. The teacher in question seemed of the same opinion, and appeared to be quite bored with the subject matter himself. That aside, he was a jolly chap, though I spent the whole meeting resisting the temptation to hand him a kleenex. Sniff cough snuffle sniff cough. If he were Japanese he'd be wearing a face mask. I wished him a speedy recovery and hotfooted it to my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment