Tuesday 16 November 2010

Rain, rain...

... go away, come again aback aday, as Titus used to sing. Yep, it seems that the hairdryer weather has moved on - enjoy it if you get it, it was sublime. It is amazing how depressing supermarket car parks are in the rain; they're not amongst my favourite places at the best of times, but wet litter, leaves and people hanging around the trolley depot smoking wet cigarettes make them so much worse. Today's needless purchases included a pair of ski trousers for CG (he might wear them at some point) and an amaryllis in sparkly ivory-coloured pot. I dithered for ages over pink, red or white flowers. I know, I know, you want me to tell you what I chose. Pink! But only because the red and white looked manky.

Still on the subject of supermarkets, I was at a nearby Aldi the other day (incidentally the cleanest and customer-friendliest Aldi I have ever experienced), returning my trolley to its friends, when I caught a glimpse of myself in the window. I had just smiled at another customer and it was still frozen on my face (the smile). It was my 'I don't know you so I'm not going to overdo it, but I like to be friendly just for the sake of it' smile. I have used this quite a lot recently, and get very mixed reactions. Now I know why. I don't appear to be smiling at all - I look as if I have a cherry pip in my mouth, and am preparing to spit it out at great velocity. It is no wonder people are confused. I blame the fact that I used to play the flute when I was younger. The all-important embouchure has scarred me for life, socially at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment