Monday 25 October 2010

Nosy Neighbours no more

Oh, if it were possible to eat my words, I'd be chomping on a whole dictionary by now. The NNs - in case you weren't aware, the nosy neighbours - are now, most definitely, renamed as NICE neighbours and shall remain so forever more. It is only because of them that I am sitting here in a warm house posting my blog.

This morning it was all a bit stressful, even more so than usual, as we had woken to snow and all the pleasures it brings. I had to take my pa to Kochel station, then I took Titus to kindergarten, followed by yoga with the stuffed owls and Helga. When I arrived home I breathed a sigh of relief and stuck my key in the lock... only to find that there was another key on the inside.

First I wanted to cry. After all, it was snowing, I hadn't had breakfast, and I felt like a prize idiot. I had two housekeys but STILL couldn't get into my house. I fiddled around in the lock with my nail file but no joy. Just then, the NNs sailed past me into their driveway, just back from a cosy breakfast somewhere. To cut a long story short, they rang a locksmith, gave me two cups of hot coffee and translated what the extremely Bavarian lock man was saying. He didn't actually need to do any smithing - he borrowed a ladder from Herr NN and got in through an upstairs window, using a bit of string and what looked like the hook of a wire coat-hanger. And all for the bargain price of 40 euros!

I shall be off again shortly to collect Titus and a very large box of chocolates, which I shall place on their perfectly polished doorstep, next to the stone lion holding the Bavarian flag in his teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment