Wednesday 6 April 2011

Internet killed the radio star

The other day I was idly listening to the radio, tootling along the autobahn with all the other slow drivers.  My ears suddenly tuned in (geddit?) to the conversation - indeed, they were announcing a phone-in competition, subject: biology.  Before you begin to cast aspersions on my choice of radio station, let me clarify - the exam season is nearly upon Bavarian teenagers, and the station had obviously thought it would be a natty idea to do a quiz or two.  I can see their reasoning; done properly, this would appeal to both the older (parent) and younger (teenager) markets.  And any know-it-all pensioners who happened to be listening, assuming they weren't out policing the streets.

So far, so good.  With a drum roll, the first question was on air, then swiftly into a three minute commercial break.  I tuned out again, but Caller One, I think it was Ushi from Pomperhofen (or somewhere) was soon on the line.... with the WRONG answer.  You might be wondering where I am going with all this, but think - in this day and age, when practically everybody has access to the internet, why on earth would you, as a phone-in contestant, not check your answer on Google?   Not only that - Caller Two, Hubert from Gmünd, had the right answer - cue loud applause, trumpets and circus music.  He was lathered with praise and won an all-expenses paid holiday to somewhere exotic. (I forget where but it was in eastern Europe, I think.  I know I was jealous.)  At first I was just happy that I had known the answer, even without googling.  I bathed in the glow of self-satisfaction.  Then it dawned on me that there is no point in these competitions any more - none whatsoever, and before you point out that it was to generate revenue for the station, I can riposte that the calls were free.

I remain mystified.  It is irrelevant whether Hubert had googled the answer or not - he's sunning himself in Slovakia right now.  Either he can be genuinely proud of himself for knowing the answer instinctively, or he is secretly ashamed about hoodwinking a venerable, forty-year-old radio channel.  They really should know better.

No comments:

Post a Comment