Friday 29 April 2011

I always knew Cambridge was missing something

One, two, three, aaaaaahhhhh.  We're all aglow from watching four solid hours of British pageantry, in other words the Royal Wedding.  Wasn't the dress lovely, and didn't Queenie look summery in her custard-yellow ensemble?  Hasn't poor William lost even more hair (stress, no doubt) and wouldn't it be nice if Pippa and Harry teamed up too?  Except he's still hanging out with Battersea, I mean Chelsea, Davy, who, incidentally, made it onto the Daily Telegraph's Worst Dressed List.

I bet millions of bloggers have chosen this subject today, but I really feel I have no choice.  Nearly thirty years ago, I went to watch Charles and Di tie the knot on TV.  It was my first solo visit to my grandparents, staunch royalists, who at that time were living within a stone's throw of Windsor Castle.  Another first was ten solid hours of television, only interrupted for trips 'down the passage', i.e. to the bathroom; eating in front of the TV (unheard of) AND, most importantly, the movie that evening was The Sound of Music which has had a lasting influence on my life. Anyway. My dear Granny maintained a fluid commentary throughout the entire wedding ceremony.  No bow or ruche left unscrutinised, no footman's demeanour or horse's gait uncriticised.  Even the BBC commentators, normally held in great esteem, were slated for their banal and ill-researched narratives.   The wedding was, in her eyes, a mistake.  But I drunk in her words - in those days, she was such an oracle to me.  In retrospect, she was right to be cynical.   It is easy to be wise with hindsight, though.  Who could fail to have been moved by the steadfast, wholesome, understated glamour of today's spectacle?  Catherine couldn't have done it better.  OK, I'm waffling now, so I'd better change the subject.

In case any of you at all are wondering about the cow population of Bovinia to whom I sporadically refer, I can officially report that some selected groups are out in the open finally, chewing the fresh green cud, blinking in the sunlight and looking confused, as predicted.  I said hi to a few on my run this morning but they were most dismissive.  I guess they need time to acclimatise!

PS:
True to the contradictory form of any teenager, Gaia just demanded that I mention her in today's blog.  I will do so, but (ha!) not in the way she requested.  OK, perhaps I'll do both.  She wanted "Gaia's just back from Belgium - she had a really cool time" - nice to know, but not that interesting.  I want to say that she watched today's wedding carefully and wordlessly (unusual - she possesses her great-grandmother's penchant for ruthless criticism).  Her considered remark at the end was, "well.  I think I need to review the plans for my own wedding"!!!!!  Love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment