Thursday 7 April 2011

Great Anglo-German relations

CG and I were talking recently about what we have learned most from each other.  In other words, if we hadn't met, what would we have missed out on?  Quite a list emerged, which was nice.  You'll never guess what was at the top of CG's.  The Sound of Music!  Rodgers and Hammerstein have a lot to thank me for.  Without my influence, CG would never have yodelled along to the Lonely Goatherd, or practised singing a la Do-Re-Mi (which is, actually, a very good way for not-so-musical people to learn how to hold a tune).  Then came learning English, of course, for which I feel I cannot take too much credit, as he was already awfully good when we first met.  (My German, those days, was rubbish.  I used to try and instigate half-hour periods where we would only speak German.  Invariably we ended up saying nothing at all.)  Oh - another one for CG - the pepper mill.   No more the grey dust in a salt cellar with multiple holes.

I guess you are wondering what I learnt from him.  The first thing that sprang to mind was - sad but true - how to open and close a German window.  Where I come from, you either had to heave a sash window up and down or open a casement outwards.  The slickness of the German design was a delight to me, once I'd mastered it.  Then, I suppose, it has to be the neat disposal of liquid food (if your kitchen sink doesn't play ball): you simply pour it down the toilet.  I already mentioned the German language.  It's true CG has been and remains one of my major sources.  He's usually extremably reliable apart from a few notable exceptions.  As someone with an enquiring mind, I am prone to over-questioning at times.  I'm happy to admit this.  This means that he has developed a way of fielding my queries if he doesn't feel, at that particular point in time, so disposed to answer.  It's a kind of ambiguous grunting sound which can mean either yes or no.  Only relentless, persistent questioning will get him to elaborate.  When I was younger and naive, I often took this grunt for a yes, which resulted in me thinking that lots of things were true and only years later discovered to be completely the opposite.  But as today is a special day, I'm prepared to overlook this.  Even though my faux pas have oft been the subject of screeching laughter from dear German 'friends'.

We are celebrating ten years of marriage, but we've actually been together for nearly twelve.  If you don't know us, you will obviously not be aware that we are - to my knowledge - the longest-running one night stand in history.  I'm still waiting for him to get up in the morning and leave without saying goodbye.  I love you, CG x

No comments:

Post a Comment