Friday 3 June 2011

For Hedda

It's been too long, it really has.  A(nother) thunderstorm is blustering its way over the Alps towards Bovinia.  We seem to get one a day at the moment.  It keeps things interesting, though.  And is infinitely preferable to perpetual rain.

But enough about the weather.  (I told you I was beginning to talk about it too much.) Hedda and I just got back from an inline skating trip round the local lake (the site of last week's limnetic frolic, for those who are interested).  As you may be realising about life here, it appears mundane but actually there's always something going on. We rounded a corner, shakily over the gravel, and came across a large band of drummers.  They were all smoking and larking around prior to starting their practice - I have no idea what for, but how considerate of them to take themselves off to the riverside where they won't disturb people unnecessarily.  The fact that I can hear from them from here underscores this point.  I'm pretty sure we'll see them soon at some village fest, dressed up to the nines in their Lederhosen.

I promised Hedda I would mention her a lot in this blog.  I am well aware that I talk about Titus - he is an endless source of amusing material, without even meaning to be most of the time.  Hedda is an understated delight and the reason I don't write much about her is that she is much better behaved than her brother and far less cheeky.  (She wasn't the one who softly intoned the words 'poo stinks' over and over again during lunch today. )  She went on a boat trip this morning with her class.  Apparently the highlight was a naked lady bathing - I wonder if she was expecting a boatful of schoolchildren to round the corner as she took the waters. Bet she didn't care - these naked swimmers are all the same.  Hides like rhinos or they've given up worrying.  I'd be thinking about the leeches, but we all know I'm not only a prude, but paranoid about water creatures of any kind.

Hedda likes reading my blog and has reminded me several times this week that I haven't written since Monday.  I was busy applying for a job - needless to say, I didn't get it.  And next Monday, I am venturing into the world of online English teaching.  Apparently, there's a growing need for English teachers who are prepared to give lessons on Skype, and I have found a website that caters to Japanese people.  Someone - as yet unknown - has signed up for a trial lesson with me at 8.30 a.m.  They get 15 minutes free, while they decide whether I am interesting and intelligible enough.  Have no fear - I shall be doing exactly the same about them!  If they like me, they sign up for paying lessons, which will give me even more excuse to ignore the housework.

Tomorrow morning I'm off to do another sadistic run with the crusty running club I've found.  It nearly finished me last week.  They are all at least fifteen years older than me, but far, far fitter.  Needs must - only four months till the marathon...

No comments:

Post a Comment