Tuesday 7 June 2011

An end in sight

An amazing, unique experience today.  Went to my obligatory appointment at the Arbeitsamt (job centre), with many reservations, as up till now the meetings have been a trial to say the least.  This time, though, I was allocated to a different man; still with terrible dress sense - I think that is part and parcel of working somewhere like that - but kind, with nice manners and a comprehensible accent.  He admitted he was flummoxed as to why I hadn't found a job yet.  I was forced to agree.  I mean look at you, he said.  I looked.  Could only see the bruise on my sternum.  (Should have worn a scarf.) You're young, you're clever, you're.... he faltered and the pregnant pause that followed told me all I needed to know.  Now I am the last person to exploit my feminine wiles to get what I want out of somebody.  In fact, I didn't even know I had any left.  But a sweet smile was all it took to obtain the maximum benefits he had to offer me as an almost-long-term-unemployed-person.  Don't get me wrong - all things are relative, and maximum benefits in this case actually mean a six-month training course and a gift voucher for free recruitment agency help.  Yippee!  At last, a valid excuse to be out of the house every day and not have time to do the cleaning.  And I might get a proper German qualification at the end of it, or even a job.  Oh thank you, thank you, I said.  I know you don't do this for all your clients.  No, he said.  Only the really needy ones.  Cheers, Mr Job Centre Man.  I'll try not to take that the wrong way.

His little eyes twinkled as he handed me the all-important documents and showed me out of his drab, sparsely furnished office.  As always when I leave that place, my heart lightened instantly and I hopped, skipped and jumped down the stairs, straight into H&M to check out the latest wares.  If I'm going to be on a training course, I have to develop the right look.  No more of this village dowdiness.

PS: CG, if you're reading this, I didn't buy a single item.  Not even a frippery like a hair clip.  Surprised?  I was!

No comments:

Post a Comment