Wednesday 9 February 2011

Every good things are four (???)

It's a subject most of us are familiar with. The English language, in one form or another, is slowly, slowly, like a giant oilslick, taking over the planet. As a native speaker this doesn't bother me too much, in the sense that I am not inconvenienced, nor am I forced to learn another language against my will, just to increase my career prospects, for example. But what of cultural diversity and individuality and all the things that different languages signify?
In Germany, debates rage over the demise of the traditional language and the ever-increasing number of English words and phrases that are being eingedeutscht (literally, Germanised). There are deep, dark divides between those who embrace this phenomenon and those who resist, clinging on to their purist approach for dear life.
It is true that we have a smattering of German words in everyday parlance - I can think of schadenfreude, über-anything, wanderlust, rucksack, for example. All horribly mispronounced. But just watch any contemporary German TV show and you will hear people dropping in English words and phrases left, right and centre. Particularly offensive, to me, are swear words, e.g. 'shit' and 'Jesus'; the users fail to recognise the impact these might have on a native speaker. Numerous other phrases - 'no risk, no fun', 'see you later, alligator', 'ready steady go' - abound.
But what I really cannot stand is when English sayings are used, but translated completely incorrectly. You know the expression 'all good things come in threes' (or something) - well, in German this is 'alle gute Dinge sind drei'. Word for word this means 'all good things are three', and this is, verbatim, what I keep hearing on the TV, which makes me want to throw my remote control at the screen and run around the room screaming, that makes no sense at all, who on earth edits these programmes??????? Worse still, I heard a commentator yesterday saying 'every good things are four' - off with his head!
I must take a deep breath, calm down, step off my soapbox, dust it off and put it away. Things are only going to get worse, so I might as well accept it. There are a few champions of true, beautiful German (one of them the wonderfully named Bastian Sick) and they will receive my undying support.
There is one huge advantage to all this English usage. When speaking German and stuck for a word, it has always been a useful tactic of mine to simply insert the English equivalent and hope for the best. It therefore stands to reason that the more English words become part of the German language, the more successful this strategy will prove to be. Jede Wolke ist mit Silber gefuttert! (Every cloud has a silver lining; an idiom that does not exist in German - at least, not yet....)

No comments:

Post a Comment