Saturday 5 February 2011

Carnival mood

I can't imagine why so many of my friends and relations have a burning desire to see me dressed up as a pirate. You would think they'd never witnessed such a spectacle before! Be assured that it will be a long time, if not never, until I parade around in my Bavarian carnival garb out of context.

The context was, of course, the big kids' party this afternoon, where I was 'starring' as one of the entertainment team - say no more. As usual with such things, however, it wasn't half as bad as I thought it would be. Firstly I was glad that I had a real costume, and not a homemade put-together-at-the-last-minute one, as some of the party-goers had really gone to town, or should I say village. The motto was anything goes, from a jellyfish to a polar bear or from Cleopatra to an old lady in a nightdress (I hope the latter was indeed a costume and not an escaped senile delinquent). Secondly, the excitement levels in the room peaked 5 minutes before the start and remained on the ceiling until people were forced to leave three hours later, to enable clearing-up volunteers to hastily prepare for the next event. Surrounded by so much enthusiasm I could not fail to be infected, not only by that, but probably umpteen cold and flu viruses. Thirdly, I found myself enjoying it all, as I guess there's a child inside us all and mine doesn't get let out much.

Am now completely exhausted and will have to prise my three angels away from Wii Party in order to get them into bed. Hedda is refusing to remove her facepaint, no matter how many times I tell her it won't look the same in the morning. Ah well, she'll find out when she sees her reflection tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment