Tuesday 22 November 2011

Duck the halls

When we acquired our duck 'friends' (they hate us), I didn't envisage that the entire duck population in our street would make our garden their favourite place to hang out.  OK, there are only six in total, but it is amazing how much mess and noise they are capable of creating.  Max the ginger cat has been stunned into submission by the gang; other cats now think twice before trespassing and when they do, they hurry across the lawn in that funny way that cats run, glancing nervously from side to side.  My guess is that next year we will indeed have slug- and snail-free garden, but it will most probably be free of plants and flowers too.  A sort of desert, with only the apple tree (out of reach) and a few stones remaining.  Still, I cannot complain, for whose dumb idea was it in the first place??

I saw the mysterious shopper at Aldi again yesterday.  She is indeed American, and I am pleased to report that her cough is better.  I wonder if she realises just how well-known she is.  I had only to start my description of her and a woman I was visiting the other day knew immediately who I meant. It makes me wonder how conspicuous I must look, but not for long, or I would truly go insane.

Meanwhile we are preparing for advent.  Germans 'do' advent very well.  Other countries would call it putting up the Christmas decorations too early, but here it is approached with solemnity and pomp and splendour and the rush is now on to pack away the autumnal stuff and get out that red and green kitsch and invest in thousands of tea-lights.  The shops are heaving with Glühwein, Stollen and Lebkuchen.  All I need now is for Penny Markt to start selling their Spekulatius (spicy biscuit) scented toilet paper, and the scene will be properly set.

No comments:

Post a Comment