Tuesday 10 May 2011

Tips from a jaded expat

I've been 'reaching out' (hate that phrase) to the wider community recently.  That is to say, I've been reading other people's blogs, particularly those of ex-pats, which makes a welcome change from struggling through a day in the Bavarian dialect.  There are so many amusing writers out there - what a wealth of untapped talent!  But glimmering beneath the humour is also the desperation; the sheer exhaustion of trying to get to grips with life in this formidable country and its language.  I wish I could offer some useful tips, having lived here for over ten years.  Sadly, the best I can come up with is:

(1) When people squeeze past you in crowded shops, they really aren't being rude.  Perhaps they just have poor spatial awareness.  And they are brought up that way, rightly or wrongly.
(2) German old people are all fierce, except when confronted with dogs and small children, in that order of preference.  Then they melt like butter on a hot potato.
(3) You really shouldn't walk on the grass, even when there is no sign telling you so.
(4) If you can't remember the gender of something, stick 'chen' on the end - the diminutive form.  Words with 'chen' are always 'das'.  It doesn't work so well with large objects, such as cathedral or elephant.  You have to choose between grammatical perfection and looking silly.  It's a thin line.
(5) The overly direct way of talking and frequent use of the imperative form can be scary at first.  I assure you though, after a while you will relish knowing where you stand.  Back in Blighty or the good old US of A, you'll wonder why people take so long to get to the point.
(6) The German definition of spicy, i.e. in curry, is extremely mild.  Take a korma, reduce the 'hot' factor by half, and you get spicy, German style.
(7)  Germans don't like tap water but it is safe to drink and tastes great.
(8) It is not weird when people bring their own slippers to your house when they come for tea.  Just practical.
(9) Germans do have a sense of humour.  It might not be the same as yours, but it is there. Sometimes extremely well-hidden.
(10) No German person can pronounce any of the following 'a' sounds - apple, sandwich, dad, cat, happy, etc, etc.  Don't bother trying to make them.

I hope this helps somewhat.  I may sound a tad cynical, but a healthy dose of cynicism is needed to survive here.  That said, I think it is a wonderful country; the language is really not that difficult, in that the rules are consistent, unlike in French or English, for example. There are lots of rules here, but after a while you will see that they make sense - mostly -and it doesn't pay to rebel.  Nothing will happen to you, but you will live in a state of permanent frustration.  Just go with it, and have a good laugh behind closed doors (and windows, to be on the safe side) when you get home from a hard day.  And don't forget the cyber community waiting to share your woes.

3 comments:

  1. I'm too new at this to be jaded yet, but I appreciate the heads up and I'll try to remember the 'chen' bit for when I've figured out some of the grammar. I desperately wanted Thai food last night, and wasted more time than is necessary worrying because every curry read 'hot' rather than having helpful descriptions like green, yellow, or red.

    As for not walking on the grass, I laughed. Our thirty page lease explicitly states that children playing on the grass is verboten, and that such activities should be restricted to the spielplatz. Semi-nude sunbathing is, however, apparently quite okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, where are you living?
    BTW, nude sunbathing is also okay in some places.... you have been warned:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eek! For some reason I didn't get your comment emailed to me. I just came back after your more recent post to see what the comments were.

    We're in the glorious, if rather rainy, suburbs of Berlin. Originally from Australia. The funny thing about our location here is it's really close to a school; close enough that we have heaps of kids walking through our yard every day. My three year-old is a nudist, so I'm glad to see that people here aren't opposed to the idea, but my inner Australian is really surprised to see people walking around in their undies this close to a school. I can't say I see anything morally wrong with it myself, but I think Australia is just paranoid enough that you'd be arrested for walking around that nude in your back yard if you were this close to a school.

    Which is to say, I don't think I'll be trying it myself, but I like the sense of freedom here.

    ReplyDelete