Tuesday 17 May 2011

Flight of fantasy

So annoying - I just can't get Estonia's Eurovision melody out of my head.  I don't understand this one bit, for out of all the songs (25 in total, for anyone sensible enough not to have watched the show), this was definitely one of the worst.  I can even hear it now, taunting me in everything I do and say.

Estonian melodies are all I need today, a day on which all three of my children have voiced their disapproval, to put it mildly, of something I've said or done.  Gaia - 'you're a rubbish parent'.  Hedda 'what do you mean we're only going on holiday for a week.  I'll only just have got to know people!'  Titus - 'shut up'.  Need I say more?  Think I'll go and thumb down a tractor and hitch a ride far, far away, perhaps to the next village where they talk all funny, and nobody will know me because I'm not from there. After a while, my children will get hungry, or want some money.  They'll look for me briefly but get distracted.  They'll assume I'm either (a) gardening, (b) cleaning or (c) running, and won't start to worry until CG gets home and asks, where's Mummy.  At which they will shrug their shoulders.  He will make himself a cappuccino, and change into normal clothes, because no one can see him in our garden when he's got his camouflage on.  He will go and look at his tin soldier painting workshop and check nothing's been moved.  Then, and only then, he will think hmm.  A bit odd.  And give a me a ring.  I'll pick up immediately, and he will come and get me and drive me home.  Gaia, Hedda and Titus will cry, where have you BEEN?  We were worried, Mummy! And we'll all hug each other and laugh.

The good thing is, while on this little flight of fantasy (and it shows how low my standards have sunk: a trip on a tractor to a neighbouring village is seeming attractive), the Estonian tune disappeared from my head.  Unfortunately, it has now been replaced by Phil Collins' In the Air Tonight, a song I have always hated but which is much loved by radio stations all over Germany, as far as I can hear.

2 comments:

  1. Oh how I love and miss getting to experience your humor in person!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah babe - when are you coming to Bovinia???

    ReplyDelete