Friday 14 October 2011

Mmm, that looks good - what is it??

My blog suffers when we have visitors.  But that is the only downside of having loving family to stay.  They've gone now, so I'm settling back into 'normal' life. Might as well enjoy it while I can, for guess what - we are about to acquire two new additions!  No, I am not pregnant with twins; nor is anyone else.  Tomorrow morning, we are going to meet Johann and Sophie, a pair of Indian runner ducks - whose owner can no longer keep them due to 'lack of space'. On the telephone, the current owner confided that it 'would break her heart to see them go' and that such an amicable couple of ducks I would never find, even if I searched the length and breadth of Bavaria.  Talk about raising my expectations.  I know that Johann has a green head, and that Sophie has a brown back and white chest (not unlike somebody who fell asleep while sunbathing; my words, not the duck lady's).  But the rest remains to be seen.  I didn't wish to commit myself to taking them by phone - they might only have one leg between them.  More tomorrow.

Let me just give you a little update about my world of work.  It really isn't going too badly now.  I daren't write too much about it, or invent pseudonyms for my colleagues, tempting though this is.  That would be most unwise, I feel.  Eventually, the good people would come across my blog, identify themselves and bang - I'd be sent to Coventry before you could say unmanned aerial vehicle.  I can impart, however, that I am tiring of having my lunch analysed by everyone who passes.  It is true that I take a lot of time and effort to prepare myself a healthy and appetising repast.  If nothing else, it provides something to look forward to during the long morning hours (I start at 7.30 a.m. - criminal).  It was hard, in the beginning, to get used to eating in front of people who are not also eating.  I have always disliked this.  I've had to get used to it, otherwise I would be horribly hungry by the time I get home.  It spoils the taste of a good salad, however, when I have to recite the ingredients six times whilst consuming it.  Yesterday I had two or three colleagues discussing my lunch, even arguing about whether sun-dried tomatoes go with lentils or not.  I try to take all this as a compliment, even when a particular person - particular being the operative word - leaned over my shoulder, peered into my plate and said mmm, how delicious, except I could never eat that, I hate sun-dried tomatoes.  Just as well I am not offering you any, I privately thought, so bugger off and let me eat my lunch in peace.  I couldn't face the same again today, neither the food nor the attention, so I took peanut butter sandwiches.  You know what happened?  People still stopped and commented, but this time it was whaaat?  That's all you're having???  Are you ill, perhaps?  I wolfed down the sandwiches and wound up with peanut butter sticking to the roof of my mouth and had to swill it off with a cup of tea.  I was pleased when the whole spectacle was over and I could concentrate on reading the weather forecast online.  A glorious weekend beckons.

No comments:

Post a Comment