Monday 31 October 2011

Don't panic



It's Halloween again (hope I spelled it right this year). This is our giant pumpkin, ably carved by CG, who was at home today while I had to work.   Whilst there I had time to reflect on my day of driving yesterday (everyone else was on holiday, so I had nothing to do at all).  I suppose it was a worthwhile exercise.  We now know that our new car has excellent brakes, at least it did before I slammed them on at least twenty times in succession on a variety of road surfaces.  Considering that most of the participants were there because they were anxious about some aspect of driving, I found it somewhat ironic that the trainer was called Ms Panick (but don't, she told us, the irony thankfully not eluding her).  

Meanwhile Johann and Sophie are settling in well, if you could call it that.  I had a moment of anxiety on Saturday though.  We had arranged a little pond for them, with a ramp for easy access.  I watched as they padded up and then promptly fell in to the water, and seemingly disappeared.  Suddenly I wondered if they could actually swim?  Imagine having to explain to people that your new ducks had just drowned.  I'd have been the laughing stock of the neighbourhood.  But they can swim, of course - they are waterfowl, after all.  Silly me.  They just needed a moment to orientate themselves.  And considering they are runner ducks, they don't spend much time running.  They hang out in the water the whole time.  I don't know what they will do in winter, because we are not planning to heat their pool.  

I have to go now.  A crowd of trick or treaters is approaching our door.  CG is lying in wait with his death mask on.  He looks too scary for words.  

No comments:

Post a Comment