Monday 18 July 2011

A handmade gift I actually LIKE

Typical.  How often do children come home from school and present you with something handmade - you aren't quite sure what it's supposed to be, but you can't ask - uttering the words "this is for you, Mummy".  The little loves.  You say "thank you - aren't you clever!", simultaneously wondering where on earth you can display the item for it to be on view, yet not too much, in case a visitor to the house thinks you bought it for yourself.  I have accumulated hundreds of such items over the years.  But today, Hedda came home with an object that was both identifiable and attractive, a kind of clay hedgehog trinket box, to which I took an instant fancy.  Is that for me, I asked hopefully.  Presumptuously, even.  Hedda looked embarrassed.  Actually, she said, I was sort of going to keep it for myself.  Oh, I said, disappointed.  Then she drifted away in the direction of the TV, so I swiftly took the hedgehog and put it on the bookshelf, where it looks most fine and as good as anything you could get in a shop.  A shop selling pottery animals, that is. She hasn't noticed - yet.  Of course, as soon as she does, I'll give it back.  I can always pretend it's mine while she's at school!

No comments:

Post a Comment