Monday 2 January 2012

Better out than in

As CG has just remarked to me that I have yet to blog this year, I am putting fingers to keyboard immediately.  In my defence, I told him that blogging, or being in the state to do so, is in some way comparable with constipation.  You need time and peace to reflect, and then it will all come out.

I do not suffer from the above affliction, I am pleased to say.  I think very few vegetable fantatics do, but I won't expand on that topic further.  I thought about posting a little happy new 2012 message yesterday but everyone was doing that.  And of course, in Bovinia, the world is ticking by slowly at its normal, cow-meandering-down-the-street tempo.  Nothing has changed.  Only spectacular (and quite dangerous) fireworks marked the end of 2011.  It is one of the contradictions about Germany: such a tidy, ordered country, yet for a couple of days a year, you are allowed to purchase vast amounts of explosive devices, detonate them wherever you like, and leave the street littered with wet pyrotechnical paraphernalia for some poor council worker to come and sweep up the next day.

In our little bilingual, non-Bavarian ghetto, we are girding our loins for the year ahead.  We have reassured our children that the world will not come to an end, contrary to certain forecasts. We have made promises to ourselves and each other, mostly regarding bad moods and temper tantrums, that we may or may not keep.  We are spring-cleaning although winter has only just got going, but only because we forgot to last year.  The Christmas tree is still presiding over the living room but you can see its spirits are lagging.  Had we mistletoe, the berries would be mouldy by now, which is exactly why we don't.  We are about to take our considerable bottle collection to the glass recycling place.  Just waiting for the neighbours to be looking the other way, so it may take a while.

I wish you all a wonderful year. x

No comments:

Post a Comment