Thursday 8 September 2011

Moove over darling

As so often happens when I am already late, I got stuck behind a herd of cows this morning on the way to work.  I didn't allow this to get me down, however, telling myself that more haste was less speed, and hummed along to a Beach Boys song on the radio.  The cows took their time and one in particular seemed reluctant to move along.  She then planted herself in front of my car and mooed - presumably loudly; my music was so loud I couldn't really tell - until the irate farmer stomped over and gestured to me that I should open the window.  Unwillingly I obeyed, knowing I wouldn't understand a word he said.  Sure enough, he was completely unintelligible, so I had to ask him to repeat himself, the silly cow mooing the whole time making things even worse.  I felt myself breaking out in a nervous sweat when I suddenly clicked - he wanted me to turn the volume down!  The Beach Boys (Sloop John B, if you must know) were perturbing Brunhilde.   I complied with the farmer's wishes, simultaneously wondering what the world is coming to when you can't listen to the radio in your own car without curdling the local milk.  Sure enough, Brunhilde shut up immediately and gallumphed off after her friends.  I swear she had a spring in her step. The farmer got back on his rickety bike, waving his stick, and he and his accomplice saw me on my way with evil stares.  I shuddered despite the warmth of the morning, but at least this meant I was glad to get to work, where the people seemed quite friendly, comparatively speaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment